1. LISTEN to Reproductive Justice organizations sharing safe and legal actions:
SisterSong, Liberate Abortion, NARAL, Women on Waves, I Need An A, National Latina Institute for Reproductive Justice, & more…
2. LEARN about the history of abortion in the U.S. and architects’ role in protecting access:
Contested Spaces: Abortion Clinics, Women’s Shelters and Hospitals (2013) by Lori Brown; Architecture + Abortion Reading List hosted on the WDA Website.
3. TALK about abortion and remove the stigma!
…and use gender-inclusive language since reproductive justice affects all genders, identities, and bodies.
4. SHARE fundraisers, information, resources from trusted sources:
Funding: Keep Our Clinics, National Network of Abortion Funds;
Policy/Law: Guttmacher Institute, NARAL, Center for Reproductive Rights, If/When/How, & more…
5. PROMOTE solidarity with ongoing design movements for equity and justice:
NOMA, Design As Protest, Dark Matter University, Architexx, Parity Front, Parlour, Beyond the Built Environment, Black Reconstruction Collective, Architects Declare, Architects Climate Action Network, & many more…
6. CHECK if your firm includes abortion and reproductive care in employee health coverage…
…or if your university will cover expenses related to abortion, sexual health and well-being, and child care.
7. ADVOCATE for freedom and liberty in the built environment:
Anti-Racist Design Resources List, via Design As Protest
8. VOTE for pro-choice candidates in all elections!
Check for endorsements by Emily’s List, NARAL, Planned Parenthood, & local organizations.
9. VOLUNTEER or DONATE
Time and money towards existing reproductive justice efforts and in your community. Call, email, text, and write to your local and state representatives and demand pro-choice legislation.
10. SIGN-UP and DESIGN better health centers in the U.S.!
Current link HERE to sign up for the private list of architects and health care designers.
A version of this list was first posted at the School of Architecture on 8.31.22 and online on 9.6.22.